By Thomas R. Reich PhD
Target Website Traffic is a strategy commonly used for Websites, Blogs, ecommerce sites, Informational Websites, etc. Very often these business websites attempt to sell products, services, partner tie-ins or influence opinions without proper thought to why a visitor would take action on their website.
These businesses believe the use of keyword advertising or targeted advertising (Google AdSense, Kontera, etc) program will bring them customers, not just visitors. Many of these businesses actually find little of the traffic generated by paid traffic services to be converting from visitors to customers. These businesses feel that a website with proper “SEO” and “Keywords” is enough to generate the desired results from their website.
But There is Much More to a Successful Website Than That!
There is another source of targeted traffic that must be developed before paid traffic can be effective: “Organic Traffic”. Targeted organic traffic is drawn to a website focused on a specific niche that answers questions and provides valuable information beyond sales and product information. An informational website or authority website will attract visitors with a particular interest. Those kinds of visitors are more likely to become clients when they find useful content on the website they are sent to, when searching for answers to a problem.
Targeted Traffic can be Achieved in 2 Ways:
- Organic Traffic: This type of traffic is generated when a website is developed with quality content based on the analysis and development of good keywords backed up with relevant, information rich content. An information or authority website is the source of the most stable and reliable visitors to a website. In addition, there is a higher probability that a visitor to this well developed authority website will move from niche-targeted visitor to become a customer or client.
- Paid Website Traffic Generating System: A good technique especially for well thought out marketing websites already indexed as an information or authority website. This method is expensive and still requires a targeted niche website for maximum effectiveness. Without a good authority website for your visitors to land on, paying for traffic will be mostly ineffective. There has to be a reason for a visitor to stay and interact on your website.
What can be Done to Develop a Targeted Website:
Website developers (the one in control of the website) have to learn how to increase targeted website traffic. When building a targeted website, it is important to understand the requirements of this technique in generating and maintaining potential clients. If you use just any random content to fill pages, this will produce all types of website visitor traffic, but will not generate the traffic you want and need.
Yes, it seems great when you sit and observe a large busy website on Google analytics. However, you must find out if these visitors are staying on your website and reading content or “bouncing” away not finding content of interest to them. The result of a high level of traffic that leaves right away (bounce rate) is no sales and no requests for information. Ultimately, that means no organic traffic (traffic sent to your website by search engines to fulfill a search request by their search client) sent to your website.
Nothing is really gained from traffic services that drive general traffic to your website, these visitors are typically not looking for what you are representing.
This principle is analogous to using programs like Google AdWords campaign before your website is ready. You can generate large amounts of traffic to a page or section of your website, but these pages or sections may not be targeted to your niche. Therefore, the visit may be useless for the visitor and useless to your business. Google has delivered the traffic, the money is spent and when the campaign is completed, traffic to your website ends.
To use a paid traffic campaign, you must first have an authority site, rich in SEO and keywords and backed up with good solid information about a specific segment of what you represent. You must have reliable information showing that your website is “sticky” (visitors stay on website and explore) for a targeted customer or targeted interest, and know the keywords that bring that targeted customer to your website. Without this setup and backing authority, the money spent is wasted.
The answer to generating Organic Content:
- Quality content is important, if you are representing your website as an expert source of information on a particular product, service, or cause. Make sure that your information is accurate, updated and added to often.
- Good targeted content on one niche that meets the above criteria will generate Search Engine Results Pages (SERP). Google and other search engines acknowledge good content and send their search clients to good content on a requested topic, regardless of where that content is. By the same token, if the content is not accurate, updated and added to often the SERP ranking will decrease and you will receive less and less targeted organic traffic.
- Quality content is the only way to gain free targeted traffic from search engines. The reason is simple; it is not “free” traffic, the search engine thinks it will give them credibility. Your website is providing a service to the search engine by creating a true authority website on a particular topic being searched. When you are sent traffic by the search engine, if the visitor sent to your website stays on the site for a period of time, the search engine sees their search client as satisfied and sends more traffic looking for the same thing. Simple if you think about it, they are providing a service to deliver information to their clients and you create an authority website that helps the search engine fulfill that service.
Successful websites have a plan to develop content and information that fills a need as an authority destination, one that you are uniquely qualified to represent. In exchange you receive free targeted organic website traffic from the search engines that would otherwise charge for Adwords to bring that traffic to a lesser developed website. Remember, if your website is not content rich, Adwords won’t help, traffic is not an advantage if you don’t have much to say or a solution to provide when the traffic reaches your website.
In many roundtable discussions, or when I am doing seminars, I often get questions like “how can I increase website presence?” and “how do I increase targeted traffic?” for their site. My answer is simple: “By providing good quality content and getting quality back links from other websites. As the search engines begin to rank your website as the authority site on your niche, you gain more and more organic visitors!”
Quality content is always the first step to creating an authority website destination. When you reach the status of authority website, the strategic programs that provide services to increase traffic (whether paid Traffic Generating System, PPC, etc.) might be the next step to consider. This is not to indicate that paid traffic generation is required for the implementation of fully developed authority website. However, at that point, increased targeted traffic may be a good way to go. Paid traffic generating services may actually be a boost in ROI at that point in a website’s development. But not until your analytics show that you have developed a “sticky” website (low bounce rate) and you are actually seeing conversions to customers from visitors.
Targeting traffic effectively involves discovering what really interests visitors and what content they are actually reading. To achieve an authority website status, you must provide content that is not specifically sales oriented. This information must be rich in content, well written, and it must answer questions about areas of your developing niche. It is also important to be optimized to receive website hits directly from Forums that deal with similar expertise; this can help build and create a community around your website who respond to the newest information added to your blog and help promote it.
For example, when people have an interest in hiring a marketing company, they often search for a website with information about marketing and the reviews that may exist about the various marketing companies available to them. If you are a marketing company and your marketing agency does not come up in that search, you have little chance of getting their business.
Now remember, not all website visitor traffic is created equally! Always identify and analyze your Hits and Visits!
Website owners often want to direct and deliver more Internet traffic, but fail to analyze the results of those visits. Not all visits to a website are quality visits or “hits”. Those who are happy with the direct inbound traffic “numbers” to their website may be missing the big picture. You must determine whether that traffic is achieving the goal of your online marketing strategies.
It is always important to go back and review the objectives of your initial marketing plan and determine whether your traffic generation system is on target.
Find which keywords are bringing visitors to your website and then compare those keywords to your original keyword list or the keywords you stated in your original marketing plan. Are they the ideal “Keywords”, whether or not you spent so much time finding them, and are they effective? If not, you may need to regroup and focus on what’s important to your developing audience and then optimize for new keywords. Yes, all traffic to your website is important in a way, but again, the traffic that stays and converts is the traffic that ultimately pays the bills.
Building an effective authority website is a constantly evolving process. As I have said before: “Hard work + Repetition = Reputation”.
Why Work Toward Highly Targeted Website Traffic?
Of course, different websites have different purposes. A website can be developed specifically to generate leads and build a mailing list. Websites can be designed for selling products, advertising or gaining affiliate partners, while others may be developed for the purposed of branding.
Whatever your goal, analytic tracking should be done to see if the targeted traffic generated from various sources is actually helping you reach the very targeted visitors you set as your goal to reach in the first place.
There is no way around the facts, just as in most things related to business, good results require time, effort and expertise, remember:
Hard Work + Repetition = Reputation
Whether you have questions or need our help, please do not hesitate to contact us:
Professional Marketing Associates, Inc.
37 North Orange Ave
Orlando, Florida 32801
Phone: 407-801-1PMA (1762)