By: Thomas R. Reich PhD
A good content marketing campaign is important to the popularity and the very effectiveness of your website. In order to attract the right kind of visitors, the targeted visitors that are interested in what you are representing, you must first establish a content marketing campaign. You must have one clear vision as to what the website is represents. A website design must include a clear relatively narrow topic that represents the product or service you are offering. A successful content marketing campaign must cover every aspect of that topic not only in articles and blogs, but in pictures, video, white papers and all parts of your social media and social sharing network must expand on this one central topic.
To this end, let’s look at the 10 most important actions you can do to keep your Content Marketing Campaign on track for success:
- The #1 priority of any good content marketing campaign is to impact the target audience you have chosen to cater to, with timely topics that stay on track of your message. Also to make sure that this information is continuous and consistent. It is important to watch national and international events and if possible, report on timely topics as they are unfolding. This encourages new visitors who will discover your information packed website site on a topic of interest to them, and thereby grow your returning visitor audience! This is the beginning of a great Content Marketing Campaign.
- You may find that the most qualified business leaders in your company to talk about your content marketing campaign are not bloggers. It is also possible that even if they do write, it is dry and uninspiring. In order for there to be a great content marketing campaign, you must work hand and hand with these knowledge holders, interview them, ask for topic ideas and involve them in the process. Continuous contact and discussion with knowledge holders outside the content marketing campaign team is essential to keep the material fresh and timely.
- Change your content marketing campaign as the market trends change, become the leader, don’t just follow the leader. If a change or controversy comes up in your vertical topic, don’t wait for other sites to break the news, try to break it first. Are you starting to see a pattern here?
- Your content marketing campaign must take on the feel of running a small industry newspaper. You are reporting on a narrow vertical market and you hope to be an industry leader in conveying information on your chosen topic. To do this you must be topical, fresh, original and timely. As your popularity grows you begin to feel the power of the press in your hands; that is a true Content Marketing Campaign!
- Be consistent in the delivery of your content, some methods like Twitter and FaceBook should be active several times a week or more serving the function of promoting the home website and the blogs. Blogs must be delivered consistently; as they take on a life of their own, and will continue to be read weeks months and sometimes years into the future. A popular blog site does not give you the option to simply stop writing new blogs until its popularity goes down. To have a successful content marketing campaign you must deliver new, topical and timely information frequently.
- It is important for the content marketing campaign team to meet face to face while keeping the principles of the company intact. To keep the information fresh, it is also important to interview and attend industry gatherings that cover parts of the topics discussed in the campaign, and deliver to the growing audience.
- Judge the success of content marketing campaigns by how well they are meeting the goals of the campaign itself. Are there readers showing up? You can gather this from analytics. Are actual people calling in or contacting the company as the content marketing campaign progresses? If analytics show people are reading but calls aren’t being made, possibly restructure the format of the campaign to include calls to action. If calls are made but the wrong people are calling, look at the content itself.
- Make sure to use all forms of marketing in conjunction with the content marketing campaign being run on a website. You should Email reminders of blogs, white papers and content. Be sure to promote videos on YouTube or other video sharing services with links back to the site itself. Traditional media adds targeting the information rich resource, as well as constant reminders to customers and potential customers. All of this can greatly increase your target audience.
- Do not fill the content marketing campaign with too much information. There is a limit to good new information, you want to be consistent and fresh, but a new blog every day is typically overkill. A long campaign will steadily grow you audience as well as your body of content over time. If you are a prolific writer, great! Just keep the extra blogs and add them later when you have a lag in enthusiasm for writing a new blog. You can’t blog too often, but you can definitely post too often to effectively grow your audience.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Take the time every 3 months to sit down together with everyone involved with the content marketing campaign and discuss the project. It is important to freely discuss the look and feel of the content marketing campaign, and review whether or not it is being promoted and exploited correctly. Next, what can each team member and the company it represents do to promote the content marketing campaign even more? Finally, discuss the topics that you want to cover over the next 3 months, the direction the company wants to take on issues and how to improve the promotion and marketing of the content marketing campaign itself for the good of the company.
Continuous improvement is the key to any good content marketing campaign. Try new things; such as more pictures or less pictures, more frequent social media marketing promotions of blogs and white papers. You also want to experiment with other forms of advertising and marketing in conjunction with your content marketing campaign. Do not be afraid to experiment and more importantly stop doing things that have no effect or a negative effect on the growing target audience.
One of the most important things to remember in any successful content marketing campaign is to have a team that loves what they are doing. Here at YourPMA we get excited every day to see the new analytics reports, to see the reaction to each and every blog, to try new things and to get it right!
Give us a call today; let us show you how a dedicated team of Content marketers can make your website more popular with a well orchestrated content marketing campaign. It is not just the content; it’s how a content marketing campaign is excited. Like YourPMA.com says: “We can make you famous in 6 months or less.”